September 11, 2008

September 11th

Today marks the anniversary of the horrible attacks on America. Like many others, this is the only tragedy that I am old enough to remember vividly. I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing, and the feelings of those around me. Last year at this time, I was sitting in English 101 at UMass Boston and the writing prompt for the day was SEPTEMBER 11th. The professor simply asked that we "just write". No directions were given we were free to write whatever we felt. Today I am repeating that assignment but this time, it feels different. Today I sit in my office on the top floor of one of the largest high schools in the city of Boston. Outside my window the band is playing music that for some reason seems sad. At 9:03, the school will have a moment of silence and then back to business as usual. Although today is a sad day for the world, today marks a new beginning for my brother and another happy birthday for my aunt. While everyone remembers the victims, please also remember the ones who are still here with you.

PEACE and BLESSINGS to all.

1 comment:

Laura said...

That was a horrible day, especially when the towers first got hit, and no one knew what was going on, not knowing if there were terrorists headed to other cities as well. Such a huge shock. I'm just glad my daughter wasn't old enough at the time to know what was going on, because how do you explain something like that to a kid?